Tuesday 4 March 2008

Air Traffic [ Brussels, 28-02-08 ]

I'm a sucker for good music, but aren't we all ? I'm fond of British rock, which is getting more and more popular the last couple of years. I believe enumerating those popular bands to be a bit redundant as we all know most of them. The newest hype in British rock, however, is "Air Traffic". Air Traffic, a relatively young band, launched a heck of a record, called " My fractured life ". On first sight, it seems to be a soft version of that other great British rockband called " Muse ", but I must say, after a few listens, they actually really create their own sound. It's quite the mixture of a sort of melancholic pop rock mixed with that heavier rock sound, sensitive pianowork and the amazing voice of leading vocals Chris Wall.

I was totally into " My fractured life ", when a friend of mine told me they we're coming to Belgium to play one gig in the " AB "in Brussels. We immediately booked our tickets as the AB ain't at all that big. And it was only €21 so that was quite o.k. as well. Now, last week the moment of truth finely arrived so we took our asses up to Brussels, which is quite close to Antwerp. ( Where I live in digs )

The supporting band was the promising Belgian formation " Mint ". I had already seen them on the Pukkelpop-festival a couple of years ago so I knew what to expect. They bring this friendly kind of soft rock with a fairly special but enjoyable voice and great guitar-riffs. They couldn't really drag me on last time but they totally could this time. Promising band !

And then "pour le moment suprême " like the French put it so beautifully, the spotlights went out and the crowd, which consisted of me and my friends and a thousand hysterical young girls between 12 and 17, went completely berserk. Believe me, I've had my deal of concerts, gigs and festivals but I genuinely never ever heard such a noise coming from some squealing girls. When the bandmembers finally came on to the stage they started by playing a new song, which sounded quite well. After which they started playing every single song of " my fractured life ", quite logical as that is their only album so far. Their live-performance really was enjoyable and exalted or even sublime. They really did surprise me musically and even more vocally, never thought that the leadsinger could reach every one of them high and low notes but he did that easily.

It was an amazing concert, no doubt about that, but if I should have to come up with one negative aspect of their performance it would be that really easy and maybe even lame " we want more formula ". After playing their " last song ", they hadn't played " shooting star " yet, which of course is their best known hitsong, as they knew the crowd would be going to yell for more. I'm not the one who would go and deny the fact that I wouldn't yell it too, in order to hear that one hitsong before they pack up and leave but still, I found it kind of easy.

Nevertheless I could conclude, and I think I'm speaking for my friends who joined me as well, by saying that Air Traffic is a rising and promising young band with great musicians, insane leading vocals, a great debute-album and one heck of a live-performance. If any one of you get the opportunity to enjoy them in real life, do not hesitate. I'm thinking Rock Werchter?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mja, spijtig da'k nie meegegaan ben.
But, you're thinking Rock Werchter. I'm thinking the same thing ;)

grtz

Anonymous said...

Amai, die vorige posts en comments is echt wel zotte shit ze gast. Wa een hoop blijters allemaal :P
goede raad voor die mensen: kijk minder naar het leven van anderen en leef je eigen leven!
Rock Werchter is echt stom ze, ik heb gehoord da er iets nieuws te doen is rond die periode: een kampingparty ergens diep in de bossen..

Much love!